The National Literacy Trust have created a resource on their website called the Family Zone. This website is divided into age groups and is full of free activities and ideas to keep your child busy at home, whilst also benefiting their reading, writing and language development.
The resources include:
- Simple and fun Small Talk videos to help parents chat, play and read with their young child
- Top tips for enjoying audiobooks as a family
- A guide to building a reading den at home
- A Reading Miles Global Challenge to encourage children to read around the world
- Activity sheets based on popular children’s books, including Where’s Wally?, as well as playful learning activities featuring much-loved CBeebies characters
- Exciting author videos, including live stories with author Steve Antony, draw-along sessions with illustrator Rob Biddulph and poetry workshops with Sarah Crossan
In addition, the ‘Time together’ booklet has been created, which includes ideas of simple activities that families can do together with young children at home.